Afghanistan welcomes Biden government to review Taliban deal

The Biden administration said it will review a landmark U.S. deal with the Taliban, focusing on whether the insurgent group has reduced attacks in Afghanistan, in keeping with its side of the agreement. Washington struck a deal with the Taliban in Qatar last year, to begin withdrawing its troops in return for security guarantees from the militants and a commitment to kickstarting peace talks with the Afghan government. But violence across Afghanistan has surged despite the two sides engaging in those talks since September. President Joe Biden’s newly appointed National Security Adviser, Jake Sullivan, spoke with his Afghan counterpart Hamdullah Mohib and “made clear the United States’ intention to review” the deal, said National Security Council spokeswoman Emily Horne late on Friday.

The Afghan government on Saturday invited the move by the Biden organization to audit the February 2020 arrangement that Washington had endorsed with Taliban agitators. Sediq Sediqqi, the representative of Afghan President Dr. Ashraf Ghani, said in a proclamation that the US-Taliban understanding has so far neglected to convey the ideal objective of finishing Taliban brutality and bringing a truce. “The Taliban didn’t satisfy its responsibilities,” he said. His assertion followed a telephone discussion between Jake Sullivan, the upgraded US public security guide and his Afghan partner Hamdullah Mohib. The Biden organization on Friday said that it was hoping to audit the arrangement among Washington and Biden.

Image source: AP

In the discussion with Sullivan, Mohib said that they consented to pursue a lasting truce and a fair and tough harmony in Afghanistan “fit for saving the additions of the previous twenty years, ensuring the privileges, everything being equal, and proceeding with the changes” In a progression of tweets on Saturday, Mohib said that Sullivan asserted that the organization with the public authority of Afghanistan and Afghan security and protection powers stays a need and a key to the US public security goals. “We will proceed with close counsel in the days and weeks ahead,” he added. A week ago after the focused on the death of two female adjudicators in the capital Kabul, the US Embassy cautioned the Taliban to stop assaults on regular citizens for harmony to come to Afghanistan. “The Taliban ought to comprehend that such activities for which it bears obligation shock the world and should stop if harmony is to come to Afghanistan,” tweeted Ross Wilson, the US chargé d’affaires

Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, leader of Taliban delegation with Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. special envoy for peace in Afghanistan /Image: TOLO News

The review comes amid the slowed down intra-Afghan talks in the Qatar capital of Doha, which aimed at ending the nearly two-decade conflict in war-torn Afghanistan. Previous US President Donald Trump had made the withdrawal of US-NATO troops from Afghanistan a need. As indicated by the US-Taliban bargain, the US and NATO partners would pull out all soldiers from Afghanistan by May this year if the Taliban maintained its guarantees. The guarantees included not to permit aggressor outfits to work from regions constrained by the Taliban, evading viciousness and to begin a discourse with the public authority of Kabul. Following the arrangement, the aggressors’ ended assaults indeed on unfamiliar soldiers yet escalated its battle against Kabul, with the nation having seen an influx of focused killings lately. Columnists, activists, legislators and ladies judges were among those slaughtered in focused deaths.

Given the unpredictable circumstance in the war-torn country, the enhanced US organization has said that it will survey a harmony bargain that President Trump had made with the Taliban.

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Kootneeti Team

Facebook Comments

Tanaya Narzari

Tanaya Narzari is a Journalism Intern at The Kootneeti

You may also like...